If you are interested in learning about organic farming, raising animals, or experiencing the rural life, then a summer apprenticeship might be right for you.
We offer two types of apprenticeship, a 7 month (April-October) or a 4 month (May-August). During this time you will learn all there is to know about running a small-scale organic farm. These are some of the topics we cover:
- Seedlings and greenhouse growing
- Animal husbandry
- Organic growing practices
- Pest identification
- Organic fertility and soil amendments
- Compost making
What we provide interns
- Room and board. A room in the house or one of our many trailers or cabins and 3 square meals a day.
- 8 theory lessons
- $400/month plus a year end bonus.
- Education. Learn about the many aspects of farming: from vegetable production to marketing. We will take the time to make every activity an eductional experience.
- We are members of CRAFT. This is an association of organic farms that provide learning opportunities for prospective farmers. Apprentices will participate in the monthly CRAFT workshop. To learn more about the CRAFT network, please visit the website: http://www.craftontario.ca/regions/craft-kawartha/
What we expect of interns
- 5 days of work per week, 7am-5pm
- shared cooking and cleaning responsibilities
- experience is not as important as enthusiasm and a positive attitude
- driver's license is a bonus, but not necessary
How to apply
Please send a resume as well as a cover letter explaining why you would like to apply and what you would like to learn.
For more information contact Tony Neale, firstname.lastname@example.org